Small groups – personal service
From Zero to Hero
You are a beginner and want to learn a little bit of riding skills here in Iceland or you are an experienced horse rider that never tried the Tölt on an Icelandic and want a deeper insight into the uniqueness of this gait.
You can book a private riding lesson with a specific wish of what you would like to learn under the supervision of a skilled riding instructor. (The duration on horseback is approx. 30-45 minutes. The lesson includes preparing the horse under the supervision of the riding instructor before and after the ride)
Please meet us at our office 15 minutes before the agreed time of departure.
What to wear
Temperatures in the summer can range from freezing to 20° C, so be prepared for all kinds of weather. We recommend a sweater and a windproof jacket as well as gloves. Wear comfortable pants and strong shoes (hiking boots are fine). We will provide you with a helmet and rain gear, if necessary. In winter, we also provide a snowsuit. Please note that we require you to wear a helmet when riding with us, so if you’d like to wear a woollen hat or headband, make sure it’s a thin one and fits comfortably under a helmet.
If you are an experienced rider and want to bring your own riding clothes with you, they must be disinfected before you arrive. It is prohibited by Icelandic law to bring used riding gear including saddles, bridles, etc. into the country, as well as used leather riding boots, other leather riding wear or riding gloves. Riding clothes, rubber riding boots and any other gear should be machine-washed (min. 40°) or dry-cleaned (chemically cleaned), and disinfected with VirkonS®. More detailed information can be found here.
We strongly recommend that you have your own personal insurance when joining a riding tour in Iceland.
Note: We reserve the right to alter any itinerary in the guests’ best interest and for reasons of safety. This will not reduce the quality of our tours!
Booking and cancellations
Please use the booking machine below each tour to check availability for the date and time of your choice and for the booking. You are also welcome to contact us by email or phone. For bookings at short notice (departure in under 12 hours) please call us at (+354) 4538383. We’ll contact you by email or phone to confirm your desired time and date of departure or suggest alternatives.
You can cancel your short riding tour for a 10% of the tour´s price as a cancellation fee up to 48 hours before departure. If you cancel within 48 hours, no refund is possible and 100% of the tour´s price will be charged as a cancellation fee.
Terms and conditions
- Children aged 6 years and older are welcome to join our short riding tours. Younger children can only join when approved by Hestasport staff. The minimum age for long riding tours varies according to the level of difficulty, please refer to the individual tour for information.
- Pregnant women are riding at their own risk. In case of an accident, we do not assume liability for harm caused to the mother or the unborn child.
- People under the influence of alcohol or intoxicating drugs are not permitted on the riding tours.
- Please note that the weight limit for our riders is 100 kg (220 lbs)
- All clients must participate in the riding tour by their own free will and they are obliged to inform the tour guide of any condition that might affect their ability to participate in the tour.
- Children who cannot communicate in English or German must be accompanied by their parents.
- All customers are obliged to listen to and acknowledge the safety instructions.
- Backpacks or bags cannot be taken on the ride.
With your security in mind, we have done everything in our power to ensure that these trips will be enjoyable and safe, and we ask you to confirm the following when making your booking:
- I am taking this trip of my own free will.
- I consider myself physically and mentally able to take part in this trip.
- I agree to follow the instructions of the guide in every respect.
- I am aware that this trip/these trips can involve some danger.
- I agree to notify the tour guide of any illnesses that could affect my ability to take part in this trip (i.e. epilepsy, asthma, diabetes) and the medication that I take for them.
- I am aware that the operator’s liability extends only to accidents that derive from defects in or incorrect use of equipment by the company’s employees and/or carelessness on their part. I myself bear all responsibility for damage caused by me due to my carelessness or failure to follow set/given/published instructions.
- I am liable for all personal property taken by me on this trip.
- I am not under the influence of alcohol or intoxicating drugs.
Hestasport reserves the right to alter routes, itineraries or timetables without prior notice, should the necessity arise. We reserve the right to cancel the tour or exclude individual riders if we deem it in the person’s or group’s best interest. No liability is accepted for loss or expenses due to delays or changes of arrival or departures of flights or other services, injury, sickness, accident, strikes, damage, negligence, weather, wars or other causes outside the control of Hestasport. All such losses and expenses are the personal liability of the traveller. The estimated duration of tours as indicated by km or timing can change according to road or weather conditions.
No experience needed
1,5 hours (30-45 min. on horseback)
Helmets, rain gear, and an English-speaking riding instructor.
(If you have trouble with loading the page properly or finishing the booking, you need to “Allow all Cookies” in the Settings of your browser under “Cookies and other site data”)
We are licenced!
Visit North Iceland