Spectacle in Autumn-Laufskálarétt
Leading horses into the highlands and abandoned valleys for the summer is an old Icelandic tradition. In September the farmers collect their livestock and you shouldn´t miss such a great adventure! Even for the
Very good riding skills and good physical condition needed
2 riding days
most likely 29./30.September 2023
10 years* with good experience
Minimum number of participants
Price per person (11% VAT incl.)
*Price for 2023
!Please note there is no accommodation included in this tour!
Day 1: We expect you to arrive at Varmahlíð after lunch time for a first meeting and we will welcome you at our reception in Varmahlíð.
After checking-in for the tour we will heading out to meet the horses at our stable area Vindheimar. You will test your horse and equipment in order to make sure you will feel comfortable on the round-up day, tomorrow. You will choose the equipment and your horse and we will make it all ready for the following day.
Day 2: Early start this morning! The horses will travel by lorry, the riders by bus to a farm close to from where you will join the big roundup today. As
Included in the price
- All ground transportation throughout the riding tour
- English and / or German speaking guides
- Helmets, raingear, saddlebags
Not included in the price
- Transfer to and from Iceland
- Return transfer Reykjavík – Varmahlíð
- Riding breeches, boots, jackets, gloves
- Alcoholic beverages
- Accommodation in Reykjavik and in Skagafjörður
What to bring
Temperatures in the summer can range from freezing to 20° C, so be prepared for all kinds of weather. Pack warm clothes such as a wind-proof jacket, woollen or fleece sweaters, gloves, thick woollen socks, headbands/earmuffs, scarf, long underwear (thermals) and of course your riding breeches. We recommend riding boots and/or hiking boots for riding. If you are comfortable with walking in rubber boots, you can bring them too. For the cabins/indoor use, slippers are advisable. Also, prepare for warmer weather and bring along lighter clothes and sunblock, and don’t forget your swimsuit (hot pools). If you need them, you should bring a small pillow and all personal medication. Our staff members are not allowed to give out medication except for emergency situations.
If you enjoy alcoholic beverages in the evening, we recommend that you buy them either at home or take advantage of the duty-free shop in Keflavík airport, because alcohol is rather expensive in Iceland and only sold in special state-run shops. Please find information regarding duty-free regulations here.
Riding in Iceland
Your riding clothes and boots must be disinfected before you arrive. It is prohibited by Icelandic law to bring used riding gear including saddles, bridles, etc. into the country, as well as used leather riding boots, other leather riding wear or riding gloves. Riding clothes, rubber riding boots and any other gear should be machine-washed (min. 40°) or dry-cleaned (chemically cleaned), and disinfected with VirkonS®. More detailed information can be found here.
On long riding tours, apart from Home at Hestasport, we ride 5-8 hours per day (on Wilderness Expedition sometimes even more) over plains, hills, rocks and rivers. We, therefore, recommend that participants have solid riding experience and are healthy and in good physical condition.
Note: We reserve the right to alter any itinerary in the guests’ best interest and for reasons of safety. This will not reduce the quality of our tours!
Meals and Accommodation*
Our staff will prepare all meals and you’ll get the chance to taste traditional Icelandic specialities such as fresh and smoked lamb, trout, salmon and a variety of cheese and other dairy products. Depending on the tour you choose, you may stay in mountain cabins or our Hestasport Cottages. Sleeping bag accommodation during the Wilderness Expedition tour includes mattresses with a sheet and accommodation is shared, sometimes with the whole group.
*Does not apply to Home at Hestasport and Mountain Challenge
We strongly recommend that you have your own personal insurance when joining a riding tour in Iceland.
Booking and cancellations
Please use the “Book now” button on the corresponding tour’s page to book a long riding tour or contact us by email or phone. We’ll contact you with the specifics and will be happy to answer all your questions.
Once you have decided to participate in the tour and we have agreed on the details, you are kindly asked to secure your booking by making a (down) payment. We require a down payment of a minimum 25% to reserve your place on the tour. The rest of the payment is due no later than 4 weeks prior to the agreed departure.
We only accept cancellations by email.
If you cancel your multi-day tour 4 weeks or more before departure, 25% of the total price of the tour will be charged as a cancellation fee.
If you cancel less than 4 but more than 2 weeks before departure, the cancellation fee will be 50% of the total price.
If you cancel less than 2 weeks but more than 48 hours before departure, you will be charged 75% of the full price.
In case of cancellation within less than 48 hours of the scheduled departure or in case of no-show the full price of the reservation will be charged.
Terms and conditions
- The minimum age for long riding tours varies according to the level of difficulty, please refer to the individual tour for information.
- Pregnant women are riding at their own risk. In case of an accident, we do not assume liability for harm caused to the mother or the unborn child.
- People under the influence of alcohol or intoxicating drugs are not permitted on the riding tours.
- Please note that the weight limit for our riders is 100 kg (220 lbs)
- All clients must participate in the riding tour by their own free will and they are obliged to inform the tour guide of any condition that might affect their ability to participate in the tour.
- Children who cannot communicate in English or German must be accompanied by their parents.
- All customers are obliged to listen to and acknowledge the safety instructions.
- Backpacks or bags cannot be taken on the ride.
With your security in mind, we have done everything in our power to ensure that these trips will be enjoyable and safe, and we ask you to confirm the following when making your booking:
- I am taking this trip of my own free will.
- I consider myself physically and mentally able to take part in this trip.
- I agree to follow the instructions of the guide in every respect.
- I am aware that this trip/these trips can involve some danger.
- I agree to notify the tour guide of any illnesses that could affect my ability to take part in this trip (i.e. epilepsy, asthma, diabetes) and the medication that I take for them.
- I am aware that the operator’s liability extends only to accidents that derive from defects in or incorrect use of equipment by the company’s employees and/or carelessness on their part. I myself bear all responsibility for damage caused by me due to my carelessness or failure to follow set/given/published instructions.
- I am liable for all personal property taken by me on this trip.
- I am not under the influence of alcohol or intoxicating drugs.
Hestasport reserves the right to alter routes, itineraries or timetables without prior notice, should the necessity arise. We reserve the right to cancel the tour or exclude individual riders if we deem it in the person’s or group’s best interest. No liability is accepted for loss or expenses due to delays or changes of arrival or departures of flights or other services, injury, sickness, accident, strikes, damage, negligence, weather, wars or other causes outside the control of Hestasport. All such losses and expenses are the personal liability of the traveller. The estimated duration of tours as indicated by km or timing can change according to road or weather conditions.
Please note that your tour has not been confirmed until you receive a confirmation email from Hestasport Riding Tours. When your tour has been confirmed you will receive payment information.
We are licenced!
Visit North Iceland